Author(s): Cheryl S. Smith
Far too often, we humans expect our dogs to understand what we say to them. Though we may spend a lot of time talking to them, we're really not communicating. And without proper communication, it's impossible to train a dog properly-- let alone make your human/canine relationship a rewarding one.
Packed with unique insights and gentle training advice, The Rosetta Bone provides average dog owners with the know-how they need to decipher canine meanings, communicate effectively, increase training success, and share a deeper bond. Focusing on the behavioral basis-- the ""silent"" symbols-- for learning, understanding, and communicating, expert dog trainer and competitor Cheryl S. Smith reveals how you can use your own body language to send a message and even teach a dog what specific words mean. She reveals how a dog's breed can affect his personality and explains how to decode-- and correct-- common behavior problems. With the knowledge and solutions this book provides, you will train more effectively, enjoy your dog more, and ease your own stress. What's more, you'll apply what you've learned immediately, with solid, practical advice on:
* Learning the As, Bs, Cs, and Ds of human-canine communication
* Teaching English to your dog-- and, in turn, understanding ""Doglish""
* Using body language to assist in communication and help your dog learn
* Incorporating various kinds of touch to tighten your bond
* Making rewards and reprimands real, relevant, and reliable
* Understanding the relationship between kids and dogs
Supplemented with enlightening, easy-to-do exercises with your dog, as well as quotes from trainers, behaviorists, veterinarians, and humane society workers, The Rosetta Bone is a revealing guide to making life better in your human/canine household.